What I'm working on

Developer
Aug 6, 2008 at 7:32 PM
FYI, here's what I am currently working on:

while loop support
comments support (keeping comments, I use some special comments for my C# to javascript compiler)
better preprocessor (seems to not work with #if !something)
Anonymous functions support
support for other "ToSource" methods so other simple compilers can hook into the parsers.

Developer
Aug 12, 2008 at 2:06 PM
As you have probably seen in the patches section, I put quite a lot of work into this project already. But because this project seemed dead I stopped posting patches, although I continued developing on it until 2008-01-24. I already fixed the preprocessor expressions and implemented the elif preprocessor statement. Together with a friend I reimplemented the whole expresssion parser and parts of the statement parser, as the associativity was completely broken (try adding parentheses around the parameters of binary expressions and you'll see what I mean. I think this was also a reason why the preprocessor if didn't work).
If you are interested you can have a look at the svn log of my changes at http://www.info.uni-karlsruhe.de/~moritz/csparser-svnlog.txt. I was able to compile all mono c# 2.0 test files until revision r17364. It was even possible to parse the csparser, write it back to disk, compile it with Visual Studio, execute it again on it's new source code, write it back another time, compiler and so on. So it already worked pretty good. But sadly the intermediate representation was completely wrong because of the expressions.
Then the reimplementation of the expression parser started. As far as I remember this was finished so far and worked, but the recognition of generics didn't work correctly for some cases (not even Mono can handle them though ;)). I don't know what was the exact state of my work, as I gave up at this time in favour of playing around with the Mono C# compiler, because I needed some type analysis.

I considered this a great project, so I'm very happy that it gets back to life :D
Looking at the work I did, I would like to be listed as a developer of this project, as nesteruk already suggested to me. But currently I'm extremely busy, so I won't be able to help very much. But I should be able to commit my changes to the repository in small sensible chunks.
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2008 at 6:25 PM
wow, that sounds great... Sorry for not being on top of this, I've been flat out on this Sesame Street project until just recently, so I really haven't been able to be involved in this much since the initial parser. I wasn't able to get comments email when this started (subscribed to rss now) so I missed your updates and comments as well : (.

I've added you as a dev (welcome : )... I'm not sure if there will be merging issues, maybe I can help out with that if there is. I may have some time to get the last generic cases as well, though there are some projects looming atm moment again. I'd love to get a generator going again as well, maybe for AS3 to start.