C# CodeDOM

Topics: Developer Forum, Main( )
Feb 13, 2007 at 7:28 AM
Hi Robin

I love your C# parser especially since its been modified by Denis to support C# 2.0, thank you very much!

I would like write a C# CodeDom, one that supports every C# 2.0 language construct and supports construction of the CodeDOM from the Token-Tree created by C# Parser but also manually from code. This CodeDOM could be used for many purposes but I would like to use it for language translation, namely C# 2.0 -> ActionScript 3 and C# 2.0 -> JavaScript. Possibly later on a compiler can be added, targeting Mono or .Net Framework and maybe even Flash.

Now I am aware that you have already been involved in similar projects and this might seem like old hat but maybe you see the benefit of such a CodeDOM and the real question is: would you like it to be part of this project?

Would appreciate your input.

Regards,

Huw.
Developer
Feb 13, 2007 at 5:48 PM
Hey Huw,

I'm currently working on a prerequisite for ToCodeDom and will then move to that.
If you like, and Robin OKs it and adds you to the project, we'll join forces. :)

Omer
Feb 14, 2007 at 4:04 PM
Hi Omer

That sounds good but could you explain what work is entailed in the prerequisite work you're doing?

Huw
Developer
Feb 14, 2007 at 6:28 PM
I'm currently working on a name resolver (e.g. is this method really a method or an event? does a type really exist?). Some of these will be used to write a correct graph.

Omer
Dec 28, 2007 at 7:21 PM
Hi, huw and Omer

I am interested in knowing what the progress is for th ToCodeDom project. I am looking for a C# parser that is fully compatible with Microsoft's CodeDom. I would like to see that a code compile unit object be returned from the parser so that i can generate or compile code on the fly. I downloaded the latest source code which supports C# 2.0. But I did not seem to find anything refering to Code Compile Unit. Please kindly keep me in the loop by posting here or email me directly.

Thanks,
Yansong
Developer
Dec 29, 2007 at 10:12 AM
Hi Yansong,

I'm sorry, but I've pretty much abandoned this project in the past few months due to lack of time and well... interest on my side. You see - since Microsoft have simply decided to kill off CodeDom, which is my expression for not updating, debugging or even talking about it in the past two versions of the Framework, I don't see a point in this continuing as a project.
Sorry.

Omer
Developer
Jan 4, 2008 at 2:22 PM
Well, if you guys aren't doing CodeDOM, maybe you can create something of anequivalent. I mean, one of the goals of these parsers is to make facilities for analysing and querying code, which is difficult without an object model.
Mar 20, 2008 at 4:51 AM
Hey, just fyi, I am going to be needing to work on a unified reflection / codedom model for C# for my thesis project. IF anyone is interested, shoot me an email or post a reply here.
Mar 20, 2008 at 5:05 AM
I would also be interested in getting a backend written for the compiler as well.